EarlyBird volunteers commit to live on our SUN ‘n FUN Expo Campus from January 15th through a week after the show. To be an EarlyBird, we require you live at least 50 miles from the SUN ‘n FUN campus. EarlyBirds are asked to commit to 4 – 8 hour days. You may choose to work Monday – Thursday, Tuesday – Friday or Thursday – Sunday. The only time these options are not available is during what we call “Crunch Time” the a month before the Fly-In (show). Our EarlyBird’s primary function is to prepare for the SUN ‘n FUN Fly-In. However, because our facility rental venue has grown to so much more, we also need help with other events such as Dog shows, BBQ competitions, Car shows, Motorcycle Rallies, fundraising dinner events and a whole lot more. It is important that you/spouse are able to walk unassisted during the work day and lift objects weighing at least 20-50 pounds.
- Every EarlyBird volunteer needs to be a member of the Aerospace Center for Excellence at the Florida Air Museum. A special discounted rate for memberships are offered to our EarlyBird family. The rates for a one-year membership are as follows: Individual Membership $20.00, Dual $35.00 and a family membership (of 4) $60.00. This discounted membership also provides free or discounted admission to over 200 Science and Technology Museums around the nation. (Through our membership in the Association of Science and Technology Center) reciprocal membership information can be found at astc.org
- Free admission to the Museum for one full year
- Discount (10%) in the Gifts of Flight store (even on-line!)
- Yearly email blasts
- Invitations to MEMBERS ONLY events such as our annual Rendezvous.
- Weekly Newsletters
- As an EarlyBird living in our campground you can also look forward to these great benefits: Full RV hook-ups, free wireless, really great affordable lunches in our volunteer kitchen, the opportunity meet interesting people from all over the country and Canada, share stories around the fire pit, physical labor that enhances sleep, learn new skills, free dinners from time to time, friendly “bocce ball” competitions, free comic relief from staff members and last but not least being a part of the best aviation expo on the planet!
We hope you will consider joining the SUN ‘n FUN family. Please fill out the application below completely. If you have any questions, please email Robin McFarland, Volunteer Director at SUN ‘n FUN and the Aerospace Center for Excellence or call her at 863-904-4044. Once your application is received and reviewed Robin will contact you. If there is an opening we will send you a letter or email of acceptance notifying you we have a camping spot available. If there is no camping spot available at that time we ask if you would like to be put on our waiting list.